Tuesday, June 5, 2007

University Kids

Phil and I hosted a University devotional Sunday night in our home. I fretted over what to serve and finally decided on Taco Stack because they could put it together with whatever they wanted. Megan, my daughter, made the brownies because she makes the best brownies ever eaten.

Anyway, as I was sitting there singing with these "kids", I was transported back to my University days. Going to ACU was huge for me. My family drove across town to go to a "big church"--I think we averaged about 200 which was big for Dayton, Ohio. When I came to ACU I was overwhelmed by the singing and the committment of the students there. I remember attending a church in Abilene of over 1000 people and thinking that heaven must be like this. Lynn Anderson would preach and his talks always included his struggles and how he was not perfect. This was a comfort to me and helped me know that I wasn't the only one struggling if he, the preacher, struggled too. It was the first time I was ever taught about grace. I had never heard of grace. I had only heard of hell, and rules, and sin. I always felt it was impossible to be a "good Christian" because I could never keep up with all the rules. I actually remember thinking that I wish I hadn't known about Jesus because it was just too hard and I was never going to make it. So I lived my life in fear of death and the Lord coming back because I felt I was going to hell.

At ACU, for the first time I was taught about God's grace. I was taught that no one is perfect by themselves, only through Jesus are we made perfect. That perfection in Jesus is possible! I began to realize that God forgives and also forgets. I began to realize the enormity of God's gift to me. I still stand in wonder and awe that my God who created the universe would not only be mindful of me, but that he loves me and forgives me and sees me perfect. I am thankful for the grace filled people and churches that have guided my path and also for a husband who has taught me about this great gift we have received. So now I can rejoice! I have been made perfect through Jesus. Praise His glorious name!

"For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgreesions from us" Psalm 103:11-12

2 comments:

Tammy M. said...

Amen sista.

AbbieCRAZY said...

Ain't grace great?! I'm so happy to be free of all the rules that I could NEVER follow!

Praise God for such a gift.